Bundled-up families lining Main Street, colorful floats, booming marching bands & a visit from Santa Claus - the 2016 Clayton Christmas Parade!
Thousands of people always head to Downtown Clayton on the second Saturday in December for the annual Clayton Christmas Parade, proudly sponsored and organized by the Clayton Rotary Club. The parade begins at 3 PM on Main Street...so find a great spot anywhere from Smith Street to Robertson Street.
Main Street is closed from US 70 to Robertson Street from noon to around 6 pm that day. Get to downtown early so you can grab parking along any of Clayton's side streets, just be sure not to block anyone's driveway.
The Town of Clayton video tapes the entire parade We'll have several cameras along the parade route. The video will be posted on the town's website www.townofclaytonnc.org, our Facebook page, our YouTube page and air repeatedly on TCTV. TCTV is "Town of Clayton TV" which is our public access channel available for viewing on Time Warner Cable channels 11 and 1301.
Again, please go to http://claytonrotarync.org for information on participating in the parade this year with Clayton Rotary!
Recent parades in other cities have resulted in children being hurt because participants and parade watchers were being careless or impatient. Let's make this a great day and follow these important tips!
1. NO ONE should get off a float until directed to do so by a person supervising the safety in the Green Zone at the end of the parade.
2. All children needing supervision should be taken to the Clayton High School school tennis court - just follow the yellow marked path
3. Supervising adults should NEVER leave any children until the proper guardian has them in their care.
4. It would be best that all children have a card in their packet with guardian names and contact information.
5. All drivers and leaders should pay special attention to Parade Directors and precisely follow their directions, especially at the end of the parade.
6. This year we have more than 150 additional parking spaces at the end of the parade compared to last year. Park safely and you'll easily find your children in the tennis court area!
Any parade, anywhere, always has a level of mayhem. That’s life! Be patient and be happy. Besides, Santa Claus is watching you!!
Looking for something to do with your family before the Clayton Christmas Parade starts up at 3?
You're invited to the Clayton Community Center from 10 to noon for a special "Santa's Workshop"! Just like the elves, your child will be busy choosing from 16 different arts and crafts projects, like painting ornaments or sun-catchers and beading necklaces.
Thanks to the high school volunteers with the Clayton Youth Council, your young child will have plenty of help putting together a great holiday gift for a special someone or maybe even for Santa! And yes, Mr. Claus himself will make an appearance!
All we ask is that you bring two canned goods per child, which will be donated to Clayton Area Ministries. Last year nearly 200 children attended...and that meant almost 400 cans of food to donated needy families that holiday season!
The Clayton Community Center is located just near the Clayton Community Park property at the intersection of Amelia Church Road and Shotwell Road.